Playing the Experimental Branch on Steam
To play-test on the Steam experimental branch:
- Make a backup of your game save data following this guide, in case a save data version difference occurs during development.
- Open your Steam Library
- In the list, right click on Clone Drone in the Danger Zone -> Properties -> Betas
- Under “Enter beta access code to unlock private betas”, enter the access code:
- Below the form, you should see: “Access code correct, private beta ‘experimental’ is now available.”
- Restart Steam – the experimental branch won’t show up in the dropdown until you’ve restarted Steam.
- Go back to that menu (Clone Drone in the Danger Zone -> Properties -> Betas) and select experimental from the beta dropdown:
Launch the game! It should download a quick update, launch, and at the bottom left of the main menu screen, you should see a version # that matches the one the CloneDroneBot mentioned on Twitch.
If the version # still does not match what CloneDroneBot said, re-start Steam and try running the game again!
Some things to note:
- This is an active development branch! Don’t feel upset if it’s less great or stable than you imagined so far, we’re working on making it awesome 🙂
- You may get kicked off of the multiplayer test servers (even in the middle of a match!) when we make new builds. Servers cost money so we don’t want to run old versions for too long!
- OS X builds become available ~10 minutes after the notification is sent to Twitch.